Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wednesday in Nanjing



Tyson had a more difficult day today, and so did we. I could actually see the shift last night, but today was even more so. It’s almost as if he thought he was just with us for a visit and would go back, but he is realizing he’s with us for the long haul, and he’s missing his nannies. We’ve nicknamed our children the Princess and the Emperor. I’m sure that needs no explanation.

He woke up crying and fussy. He does not like his diaper changed or his clothes changed. He’s been walking holding our hands, but today he refused to walk and wanted carried everywhere. Our backs and arms are aching—he’s tiny yes, but carrying a small toddler all day will still do a number on your back. However, we put him down in the lobby, and when he saw the breakfast eating area, he smiled and walked right to it. But for the rest of the day, he was carried. I had him in my carrier, but today was the hottest day so far, so I was dying. Dan is so sore, as he carried Ty most of the day. Tomorrow, we are buying a stroller.

Food. It’s an issue. We have had a difficult time staying with his orphanage schedule, and I think that attributes to his crying also. We have realized the following. 1. He wants his own plate or bowl. 2. He feels the need to finish everything, full or not. 3. He will flip out if there is still food on the plate and eating is done. 4. We must put a small amount on his plate at a time and refill it so he knows he can have more and feels finished when it’s gone. I was doing paperwork when Dan learned his orphanage schedule. Evidently before and after his naps (2 a day) he ate. So he didn’t have a “lunch”. So we’ve tried to fill the gaps with little snacks. So far we’ve only been able to give him one nap, just because of how our schedule has been. We try for early bed times, but that’s even difficult.

Food is also an issue for us…we are so tired of eating out. The prices are fine, it’s finding quality food that doesn’t have eyeballs that is the problem! Or mystery meat. Menus that have pictures are very helpful. But I’m so tired of Chinese food and fast food. I can’t wait to get to Guangzhou. Kacie is a picky eater at home…imagine her here. I swear, I will learn to cook when we get home. Especially vegetables. I miss bland vegetables!

We visited the Ming Dynasty Tomb Museum. Pretty cool if you like Ancient Chinese History. Nanjing is very proud of being the home of the first emperor of the Ming dynasty. Again, wishing I was teaching sixth grade again because I’d have some cool info to go along with some of the reading curriculum stories on Ancient China.

Tyson went for his first dip in a pool today. He just clung to me and never let go, but he did enjoy it! We were in for about ½ hour. We were in with another American adoptive family, and we hope to get the kiddos together tomorrow for a playdate. They have a DVD with Chinese cartoons, so we hope Ty will like that.

We’ve been calling him “Ty Ty” or “Di Di” (dee dee) which means little brother. He’s responding more and more, but even the orphanage director told us that he makes up his own mind how things are going to go and likes to make his own decisions. We clearly are seeing that.

I think you can tell by my tone, I’m tired. This was the hardest day so far. I’m tired of being stared at and I want to get to Guangzhou and meet up with more American families. Beijing was wonderful, but in province is difficult. I now see why. Two more days and we’re outta here, and I can’t wait!

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there. This is exactly how we felt after adoption day. We wanted desperately to hop on a plane and head out of Chongqing, but we had several more days in province. Stick to the hotel if it makes things easier (and cooler).

    You'll have fun once you reach Guangzhou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a post! We haven't even been or anywhere close yet to being in China, but reading everyone else's post puts info on the back burner for us as we learn through all of you. All I can say is hang in there - it will get better. Thanks for posting as I love stopping by for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will get better, I promise! This little guy has been through so much in the past few days. Everything is new to all of you and you need time to adjust. It happens to everyone. Just be patient and keep giving him love. You will feel better in Guangzhou and you know it's near the end. The island is so relaxing and you will enjoy it. We've all been through it and now it seems like a distant memory. Everything is worth it just to have those babies home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I've enjoyed so much reading your blog - thank you for taking the time to do that! He is precious. I just love the pics of him and him with you guys. Kacie is such a sweetheart! So patient and loving, that is awesome. Sorry you had a rough day but I am so, so happy for you right now and so glad this is finally a reality!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...GZ will be so different and you will probably eat at Lucys all the time like we did. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to read your blog everyday. Thank you for keeping all of us updated. I can't wait to meet Tyson. Hang in there you will be home sooner than you think.

    ReplyDelete