Saturday, August 29, 2009

Jet Lag

Anyone have a good remedy for jet lag? The whole family has it. We went to bed really late, thinking we'd sleep through the night. Instead, we are still up, and it's 3:50 am. Ty slept 3 hours. Dan goes back to work Sunday. Oh this is not good. If you have any ideas or just want to tell me this is normal, I'm all ears.

8 comments:

  1. While in China and unable to get on the right time I took a tylenol pm to help me sleep throught the night. It didn't make me groggy like benadryl and worked great. After that night I was on China time. I almost had to do it again when I came home. Hope that might work for you! So happy to see you all with your son!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jet lag sounds pretty normal, unfortunately. I would try the Tylenol PM, too, for you and your hubby. Also, what we tried to do was to stay up all day long (no naps!) and then go to bed around the normal time we usually would. It was so hard to stay awake those first few days past 6pm, but each nite we stayed up a bit later until our bedtimes were back to 9pm or so. It actually only tooks us a few nights to adjust, although I've heard it takes longer for younger kiddos. Our Maia was on our time by the 3rd nite home! Hang in there. It DOES get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did what Wuxi Mommy suggested. We stayed awake all day....no naps for anyone...and went to bed on time. It was a little easier for us, because we had four kids at home who didn't have jet lag. The first couple of nights, Q was awake for an hour or so after we put her in bed. It took about three days for us to feel like we were back on Washington time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolene-I have been following blogs for over a year and the return jet lag seems to get almost everyone! Sorry, I have hear the way Wuxi suggested works fast than anything.

    But, doesn't feel good to be home!! :-)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our neighbors are chiropractors and they say there is a treatment with only take a few minutes. They treat people who fly international all the time. We didn't get to try it because they left for a two week vacation the day before we returned from China.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could certainly try Melatonin. It is more natural way to change sleeping patterns. You can even give it to Ty. We took 3 mg for adults and 1 mg for our kids. It works great. You will get over jet lag....it just seems to take forever. Getting back to work will be the best for your hubby...a schedule seemed to help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jolene,
    Just wanted to let you know that I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I have been just dragging today (and yesterday). I'm dying to know, though, did you make your flight from San Fran?? We thought about you guys as we were waiting in immigration for TWO HOURS in LAX.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Congratluations!

    We have been home for 3 months now with our daughter, Sylvie. It took her only a couple of days to be completely on West Coast time. However, it took us adults about a week to feel a little normal, and about two weeks to say we were mostly over jet lag.

    My advice to you is to try to eat a propoer times, we found it hard to eat during the day, we had no appetite until late at night.

    I found trying to go to sleep the hardest, you are physically exhausted, but you can't seem to fall and stay asleep. I tried taking gravol to help get drowsy, but with limited success. About 10 days after coming home I broke down and bought some melatonin. I'm not sure if it helped, or just the time back into a routine did it, but I wish I had taken it earlier.

    Jetlag combined with emotional exhaustion was the hardest thing I have gone through. Just keep trying to stay up during the day.

    ReplyDelete