Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mom pulls off a miracle!

I have pulled off the ultimate miracle, with God's help of course.

When we flew from Guangzhou to Shanghai, Kacie sat by the window, the middle seat was Ty's, and I was on the outside (seats A B C) . Dan was on the other side of the plane, near me, but in seat D. I held Ty the entire flight, and we landed at 10 pm. I told Kacie to put all of her stuff away before we landed. I didn't double check or do the, "Do you have your DS?" I assumed she had everything.

The next morning she says, "Mom, I left my DS on the plane." A Nintendo DS, one of those little electronic games, which was in a black case and also contained 10 games. The game system alone is about $130, plus each game is about $30. I was so irate with her. Dan assumed it was gone, and so did I...for about 5 minutes. I decided we had to try to locate it. Now remember, we flew into a little airport on the other side of Shanghai, an hour away. Now it was 9am, and we flew out at 12:30. Not a lot of time.

I found our boarding pass stub and went to the front desk. Billy at the concierge desk spoke English! I showed him the boarding pass, told him the situation, and he called the airport. Busy signal. So we went back to our room. 20 minutes later, Billy came to our room with a little slip of paper. The DS was in the lost and found at the airport! All we had to do was go get it. Uh.....no time for that. So, one miracle down, another miracle to go. The DS was actually turned in to lost and found. Amazing!

I went back to the desk with Billy, and we called the Lost and Found and asked if they would mail it to us. No dice.

So I called our guide from the night before, this sweet girl named Cherry. After many attempts, i did get ahold of her. I told her the situation and just said if there was any way she could check at the airport the next time she was there, we'd appreciate it. I tried to get her email address over the phone, but it was really difficult. So I gave her mine and told her to email me.

I went back down to ask Billy to call Lost and Found and see if Cherry could pick it up. They said sure, as long as she had copies of MY PASSPORT and the boarding pass stub. I didn't like that idea at all, so I just decided we'd deal with it at home and see if Cherry actually could email me.

When I got home, there was an email from Cherry. SHE GOT THE DS out of hock at the Shanghai airport lost and found! I didn't have to mail her anything. She has mailed me the DS, and I have to send her the money, which I will send more than enough for her trouble.

We assumed that if you left something on a domestic Chinese flight, like a DS, it's gone for good. But with a God like mine, a little motivation, problem solving, and mom power, we will get it back. And Kacie learned what it means to "step up" her responsibility level and that mom can't always check everything. It was a good lesson for her to not have her DS on the 11 hour flight. I told her I didn't want to hear, "I'm bored" even one time on the plane, and I didn't. I think she understands the miracle that we have pulled off. I know some of you may be thinking that I should have just let it be gone and teach Kacie a lesson, but trust me, the lesson has been learned.

Now, does anyone have an idea on how I should send Cherry the money? Any help there is appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. We had the same thing happen 3 yrs. ago when we took the kids to CA. Levi said he had everything, well he didn't. You are so good to look into finding it (and in another country too). I was sick, those things are not cheep. Ours was just lost for good.

    ReplyDelete