Saturday, August 15, 2009

Random Thoughts


So I slept til 3am, better than 1am! I know my posts have been pretty much on what we've done. Since I'm up, I thought I'd share a few China stories.

First, you never pay full price here. You need to bargain. I am going to invest in a small calculator in Nanjing, as it will help with negotiating when you can't speak the language. We know we'll do more of that in Guangzhou.

Language: Well, sometimes it's an issue, sometimes it's not. I'm sure I've been a "dumb foreigner" more than once. I went to my locker to go swimming, and when I opened it, there was a pair of sandals. I took them to the desk, thinking someone left them. I got out to the pool and realized I was supposed to be wearing them! My ELL background is helping, as working with students who don't speak English, we try whatever we can to communicate: body language, pointing at objects, acting out, drawing, etc... Most people here speak some English, but many don't. We had a waiter one night, and we asked if Sprite came in a can (you don't drink fountain drinks) . He knew what sprite was, but couldn't understand our question, so he went and got a new waiter, and he understood our question. The Chinese have been more than willing to help us. The money is called Yuan (yu-on is the pronunciation). One night I kept saying "yu-yon" and they looked at me funny, and I was getting so frustrated, then one said, "Yu=on" and then I realized I had mispronounced it! I laughed, and so did they.

On our way to the acrobat show, our driver, who could win NASCAR, was frustrated with a back up, but knew a parking lot short cut. We flew through there and came out on the other corner of the block, by passing 2 stoplights. She's so awesome! We were laughing, and Kacie asked what was so funny. We told her that the driver saved us 20 minutes by cutting through teh bank parking lot. Quickly and without missing a beat Kacie says from the back of the van, "xie xie" (sheh shyeh) which is "thank you!" The driver thought that was pretty cute. The driver does not speak English.

We get a lot of stares here with Kacie. She was a rockstar again on the Great Wall with people asking for pictures. Some people try to stare usually nonchalantly, while others walk by and turn their heads and look. We hear it will be worse in Nanjing.

We have yet to meet any Americans. At breakfast, no Americans, but they play American music! Slow songs of course, but it's the Dixie Chicks, Mariah Carey, etc... that cracks me up for some reason. Then before the Acrobat Show, more American music!

People use umbrellas here to keep their skin light. Even through the smog, you can get a sun burn. When we went to Tiananmen Square, there were these ridiculous long lines and umbrella after umbrella. As it turns out, they were lined up to see Mao's body in a crystalized coffin. I was totally OK skipping that part.

Kacie was getting very tired and antsy last night, and she was asleep by 7:30. She has been a little trooper! We still have to remind her, "Don't run in the hotel," but she's doing well. However, we are worried for next week with Tyson. It will be exciting, yet hard on all of us. Plus, it's raining all week in Nanjing==lots of indoor time.

Here are a few more pics, one of Kacie and I on the plane on the way over while, another in our hotel room. Our hotel is the Wangfujing Grand. The traffic picture is from a freeway overpass near the Olympic Games Park.

And I couldn't resist adding a picture of the Yao Ming statue.

OK, my family is now awake, Dan tormenting Kacie as usual. She's a daddy's girl, no doubt! Thanks for reading and emailing. It's so nice!

Jolene

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are finally here and will have Tyson so very soon! We will just miss you in Guangzhou, but enjoy ... it is a fun place to be! Praying for safe travels and wonderful family time!

    ReplyDelete