Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I saw it today...

I have known that Ty is behind in his gross motor skills. I have seen pictures of this thin baby upon entering the orphanage, and then very skinny post-lip surgery. At 16 months old, he was just learning to walk holding on to things. I am guessing, from what I can put together with pictures and information, he was walking independently at 18 months, which would be last December.

We got him in August at 26 months of age. So he's been an independent walker for 8 months. I'm not sure what is supposed to happen in those 8 months, but I can tell you what didn't happen. Ty did not gain the needed weight to become a healthy toddler. Don't get me wrong, Tyson's orphanage took great care of him. He is sharp, as I have said before. Maybe these are problem solving skills from mere survival, I don't know, but his problem solving and cognitive skills are intact. Speech issues are a given, I don't even bring that up because Tyson has already over come that with signing. I communicate with him just as well, if not better, than many parents with 2 year olds who have grown up in the US. But nutritionally, he's low on the growth charts still, even after gaining 5 pounds. For his height, his weight is perfect! (33 inches, 27 pounds), but that is the size of a 19 month old at 50th %ile.

So back to gross motor skills. Tyson just recently started running. However, I recently began noticing the things he can't do, rather than what he can do. This entire time I have focused on what he can do and what he's learning. But now I am seeing where we need to get to. That's what I saw today.

I took Ty to Busy Town, a place where little ones can play at our local YMCA. I think this place will be a 3x a week play area for us. It has many things that Ty needs to become stronger and healthier. We all agree, nutrition is going to play a huge role in Ty's ability to gain muscles. So while we were there, there were VERY agressive boys, not overly aggressive, just typical boys I guess, ages 2-4 absolutely running circles around Tyson. Ty looked like a baby....like a....well....an 18 month old. I saw how very behind my child is in Gross Motor Skills.

So here is what I'm choosing to do. Up until he has his surgery, we're going to play, and play, and play! We're going to dance, walk, run, move and groove. People know that when I'm on a mission, I don't stop. So now that the dust has settled, I see where our focus needs to be. It's not speech, it's not language, and it's not behavior or sleep. It's physical movement. And boy, we're going to have fun doing it! We will make up for that lost time...it may take a few years, but we're going to get there.

2 comments:

  1. Q was behind in gross motor skills, too. I'd say she's at about five years as far as gross motor ability. She can finally skip...awkwardly! She couldn't do one sit-up when we brought her home. Now she can do fifteen easily. She's gaining the muscle tone she needs to begin coordinating better, but it is definitely something I work with her on.

    Tyson looks great. I'm so happy things are going well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went through the same thing with my daughter but she was even physically smaller than your little guy and months older! I saw it at pre-school when we did the transition thing and I spent a lot of time there.

    3 months later I can hardly tell the difference between her and the other kids. We did what you plan to do- play hard, exercise and walk as much as possible.

    He will get there. Call EI and get PT started as soon as possible. Our family trainer, provided by EI, gives us stuff to do with her each week based on her progress and that is also a huge help.

    ReplyDelete