Thursday, September 10, 2009

Things are looking up!

We've been home two weeks, and things are looking up! We still have our moments around food and sleep, but it's getting so much better. Here are some highlights:

Today Ty strung two words together: "Hello Mama!" It melted my heart. I decided right then and there, he can do no wrong. Ever.

He had a screening for early intervention services, which he qualifies for under physical disability due to the cleft palate and will require speech therapy. It was clear that he did not qualify under cognitive skills. He's very bright, curious, and has good problem solving skills. And get this, he does not qualify under LANGUAGE! Yes, you read that right. (For those who don't know, speech is different than language). The therapist and teacher were very impressed with his ability to say "No" and use his signs for communicating. He imitates everything I say the best he can. He will get help with gross motor as well.

Tonight I showed him how to put his bowl in the sink after his snack. So after his bottle I said, "Go put your bottle in the sink," and he did! I could give many other examples like that.

He is just a happy boy at night. He has a hard time in the morning, and I think I realized that he struggles because Kacie and Dan are gone. He's used to having people around doting on him. When it's just he and I, I have to prepare his meals and take care of the pets, and take care of myself. He likes to have 100% attention. So we'll get through it. It's not that bad, but there are definitely more fits thrown before the first nap than after, when everyone is home.

So here is a video from today. Just a day in the life, more or less. Enjoy!
***I tried to load it, but it won't load. I'll try again tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. He's a fantastic kid, and your love for him just shines through this post. I'm glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm glad things are going better. It seems like we have a lot of similar things happening at our homes these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like he is doing great! I just read all of your updates for the last few days. I was a little behind. So glad to see you got a little more sleep. I remember those days with Leilah, and I can't believe we are doing it again!
    Congrats on the eval, he is a smart little guy!

    Sheri (from your Faith family)

    ReplyDelete