A week before bring Ty home, we got an update and learned that Ty did not use utensils. Not because he lacked the ability, but because the nannies fed him. It was lack of opportunity. I love feeding Ty. It's a special time, and we have lots of fun. But with food such an issue, I need to get a bite in too and I try to be done when he is so he doesn't want my food too. It's getting better, but the issue is not gone and probably will take a long time to get over, if ever. So I began teaching him to use a spoon.So this morning while feeding him I had to get up for a minute, and look who dug in! He still lets me feed him, but at the same time, I need to honor his need for independence while balancing his desire for dependence on me. It's a fine line, that's for sure!

A few days ago, before we knew it, Kacie scooped Ty up and headed to the back yard with him. She led him around by the hand, showing him around. She took the time to help him pet Koby, our yellow lab, and realize Koby is just a big gentle giant. Ty still doesn't like Koby's tongue, but Ty will now walk up to Koby and pet her! What a great big sister Kacie is! She is at grandma's now, but she misses Ty so much, she called 3 times today to check on him.
And as a side note, Ty's dr. appt went fine. It was just a well child check up for the doctor to get to know him and do a general check up, and he's healthy! We knew that. Our doctor couldn't believe that cleft palate was a special need. Oh, and all that worrying was for nothing and the prayers paid off. Ty's head is in the 32nd %ile! He weighed 24 pounds 3 oz and was 34 inches tall. I think the height is wrong...but for sure he has stubby legs and a long body.
Then we went to my school where my teaching partners from last year were lesson planning. We crashed their party so they could meet Ty, and I was so glad we stopped by. We were home by 1o:45, but Ty was getting tired already. I can't believe the busy days we put him through in China! Now just a few outings wear him out. No wonder he was crabby!



I'm loving catching up on your blog! Sounds about like our house right now. Food issues, sleep issues... must be pretty common and I have to say, I'm glad to hear it!
ReplyDeleteBe blessed,
Courtney