Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The secrets of the LOA no one told me about...

I got the call about my LOA yesterday at 1:30. My heart thumped in my chest--I could actually feel it! I was ready for bad news...it was all I seemed to get. So when I heard the words "It came", I was elated! But here's what I didn't know: The secrets of the LOA.

No one warned me that I wouldn't be able to focus or concentrate on my teaching for 1.5 hours. Thank goodness for wonderful students! I took the following day off to get paperwork done and mailed, so I had to make sub plans. What should have taken 45 minutes took 2 hours. My concentration level was zero! And of course my wonderful colleagues offered their congratulations too. I wasn't prepared for the great joy it would bring. Glory to God! No one told me that I would be on the highest of highs for another 8 hours, wanting to shop and get everything ready! Well, a few people told me this: I only slept 3 hours.

Then what goes up, must come down. While still totally elated, I managed to throw up this morning from nerves I'm sure. Then I got a migraine. I was so sick I couldn't even shop today! I am still nautious, head still pounding, and just plain exhausted. But I'm still happy! But no energy whatsoever.

Here's a secret someone DID tell me, and I'm passing it on to you if you are an I-800 Hague family: DO YOUR PAPERWORK NOW! I had all of mine done, all I had to do was some touch ups, and mail it off. I can't imagine getting my LOA, then having all that paperwork to do. It would have zapped me. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's your visas, I-800, DS 230, and I-864W. I think that covers it.

So anyway, we are really crossing our fingers for a speedy TA (Travel Approval) so we can travel in July. Whoooo Hoooooo! So much to do! So exciting! and I'm sooooooo tired.

4 comments:

  1. Jolene-can you share with me what you had to include with your I800!!! We got our LOA on Friday and our SW is out of town until next Friday!!! I have the I800, DS230, and I864W done, but have no idea what to send with what and what doccumentation I need with it! My agency won't tell you the next step until you are there! Our Timeline is sooo similar! And we are both getting our boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another secret ... the concentration problem only gets worse. LOL
    Violet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right Kevin and Violet! LOL! I am physically ill now with nerves. I have a huge 3 days to get through at work and having a garage sale, then the nerves should settle (a little)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I was just google-ing I-800 Hague China adoption and it pulled up your blog! I was so excited to read about what you just went through b/c we just did the same. We got our LOA on the 22nd and jsut sent our papers today to our agency. And we live in Wa State too! Looking forward to following along your journey!

    ReplyDelete