Tuesday, December 8, 2009

He's in surgery now

I had some pics to post, but when sweet Dan went to the truck to get my lap top, he took the camera out and left it in the truck. So my plan to load pics didn't happen, but hey, I have at least 3 hrs to burn, so who knows...it may still happen.

The day went like this: Plan A was that he couldn't eat solids past 5:30am, then clear liquids until 9:30. Then we had to figure out how to entertain him in our hotel room until 12:00. It was an awful night of sleep. I was up at 4:50, and Ty was finally sleeping. So I could let him sleep and be starving in the morning, or I could wake him up and deal with with the sleep deprivation. I chose the latter, and so glad I did. He had a good breakfast and was finished at 5:30. Then he took a bath, and then Dan went to have breakfast and brought back some apple juice for Ty. He guzzled it down. At about 8:00 I went to have breakfast (we didn't want to eat in front of Ty in case you wondering why the separate eating times.)

When I returned from eating at about 8:20, Dan told me that the hospital called and moved Ty's surgery up! Yay! So plan B now was that Ty had to stop drinking fluids immediatly, which was fine because he had already had the apple juice by 8:00am, adn they said the eating was no problem, they just needed 6 hrs in between food and anethesia. By 9:30 Ty had fallen asleep on the bed. He was so tired from our long day and no nap yesterday, and a hellish night of sleep.

So we reported to the hospital at 10:45am. We went back to the little room, and I had to clean Ty with this thick pad to prevent infection, put a gown and socks on, and wrapped him in a blanket. I think 2 nurses, 2 surgeons, and the anesthesia team talked to us all at different times. Ty was very subdued, as I know he was confused and very tired. He just melted on Dan's lap. I brought his Winnie the Pooh and his Cars blanket. Surprisingly, he wanted the blanket. The anesthesia team had me give Ty a med called versed aka "Happy Juice" on the yahoo cleft group. In about 5 min, Ty was actually more alert, but sort of in a drunken state. The team came back, and they picked Ty up, and then the screaming and crying began. He reached for Dan, he reached for me. The anesthesiologist assured me that he won't remember that. Well, I wish I had some happy juice because I know I'll remember it. It broke our hearts! What was going through his little mind? Ugh!

After about 45 minutes, our pager went off and we got the update that the tubes were in his ears with no issue and they had started the palate repair. At that point, Dan and I went and had lunch. And now, we wait.

Surgery started at about noon. It's a 3 to 3.5 hr procedure with a 2 hr recovery. We cannot see him until after recovery. The extra recovery time is for breathing/airway. So the earliest we will see him, I'm guessing, is 5:00 or 5:30.

I will post before surgery pics whenever I decide to run out to the car! Thanks for following along and for all the support. I appreciate it soooo much!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys. Thanks for the update

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene,
    I've not been on any blogs recently due to a very busy 2 year old in my house, but I'm so glad I was led to your blog tonight so that I can include Tyson in my prayers tonight. I pray that all went well today with his surgery. I plan to show Michael pictures of Tyson especially of him with the Christmas deco (so cute) and see what his reaction is.

    ReplyDelete