Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 5 post surgery



Now that we are 5 days post surgery, I can honestly say that I was very prepared for the surgery, the blood, the pain, and the recovery. Thank you to all of you out there who posted your experiences on your blogs and answered my questions. The bond between parents of children with clefting is so immense, and I just love how we help each other out! I don't know how people did this before without the internet.

One thing I think I underestimated was the tubes in Ty's ears. I had heard how it was not a big deal, etc... and honestly, it's not. I just wasn't prepared for how agitated Ty would get with the ear drops. He hated them! Thank goodness that's over with. Part of that issue is also that I am really weird about ears. I hate ear wax, and my daughter has the worst ear wax in the world. It drives me insane, so I think God got a good laugh on that one when he created both of us. Looking at crusted blood in Ty's ears has nearly driven me off the edge of the earth. I did get some of it out, but obviously I'm not sticking anything in his ears. Supposedly it will take care of itself, and we do go back to Children's next Monday.

The other thing I wasn't prepared for, although I knew it and was told about them, was the arm restraints and what a pain in the you-know-what they are! At Ty's age, it's really hard to make him wear them. So during the day, we don't wear them. Then I cut them out of naps because I could check on him. Then it happened last night. Forget the Houdini tricks...he just unvelcroed the arm restraint enough that he got out of it. I give up. Dan and I both agree, he's not putting his hands in his mouth, so I guess if he does, it's on both of our heads. The whining and crying all night long is bad enough without the restraints, with them it's worse.

And that's the other thing. Tyson is extremely clingy and whiny. He was in a good mood on his own twice today. Once this pm playing with Kacie, and once this evening when Dan was home. Other than that, he whines and cries all day. It's brutal.

But tonight, he was back to his sweet self at bedtime after a slight melt down. HE LOVES HIS SISTER! He hasn't seen her much lately, so tonight when we were tucking K in, he wanted in her bed too. She was reading a book, so she decided she would read to him. It is so sweet! She is amazing with him.

So I knew regression would happen, and it has. And it's hard. BUT WE'LL GET OVER IT! That's what I keep telling myself. In the meantime, I'm also enjoying the excuse of just sitting with Ty in a rocking chair with a blanket.

1 comment: