Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 3 post surgery and recovery reflection

We are doing well! Ty is now only on Tylenol for pain control. We went all night without pain meds, and we only did tylenol this am. He is mad because I have to feed him and he can't feed himself. He also wants his regular cereal, so that has him ticked off. Last night he had pureed peas and carrots and apple sauce. This morning he had oatmeal (very very soft!) and pureed fruit. He is preferring to drink water from a cup more than anything, but I might try some apple juice later. It is actually difficult to keep Tyson calm! He keeps running and being his normal crazy self. But I know this will not last all day.

If your child is going to have palate surgery, make sure you have a good blender! I bought a new one right before surgery, and it's wonderful. I bought it at Wal Mart for around $50. It will pay for itself over and over for the next month.

I got really sad yesterday because some yogurt came out of his nose. I thought those days were behind us. I know it's the hole between his lip and nose that China didn't not repair when they repaired his lip. But I haven't seen anymore since, so I think it was only because he may have been having trouble swallowing. The dr. said it shouldn't impact speech.

By far, the hardest part by far is the arm restraints. Our surgeon told us it was OK for Ty to not wear them as long as we were watching him, but he needs them at night. We agreed for sure. But...he is a Houdini! He gets out of them! I've tightened them, tightened the back strap, etc... Last night he screamed and cried because he wanted them off. It's so sad!

His nose is still draining some blood, but it's less than yesterday. He hates the ear drops. He gets agitated. He has a lot of dried blood still in his ears.

Now call me crazy, but I think I'm already hearing new sounds. I got him to say the 'b'sound a few times, and in his babble I hear new sounds. I know he's not making them purposely, but it's so fun to hear him make different sounds. I know speech is going to be a long road, as he already has bad, lazy habits we have to break. We spent some time on starfall.com this morning, and he really enjoyed it (thanks Violet and Kevin!). We've done it before, but he was much more engaged this time. Maybe he's hearing it better?

So we're not out of the woods yet, but it's not even 3 days post surgery, and he's running around like normal for now. It's so unbelievable. Our post-surgery appointment is Dec. 21st. After that we'll know what we're doing next. Thanks for all of your prayers! We appreciate it so much.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there - I'm a RQ follower but for some reason am never able to log on. I saw your question about arm restraints and wanted to give you our experience. Our daughter just had a lip/nose repair (we brought her home in May from Chonqging China) and the doctors at Seattle Children's also wanted her to wear the restraints at night. We tried it one night and that was that. She would wake herself up and get so made it would take a long time to calm her down (by the way - she turned 2 in August). So, my husband and I made the decision that we would not disrupt her sleep in that way - but were still concerned about her possibly rolling over onto her face/nose during the night. We just moved a twin mattress next to her crib and took turns every night sleeping next to her. It seemed to help her a lot to have one of us close - and it helped us in that we got some sleep!

    BTW - I see you are in the PNW - we are from Olympia and Christians, as well. I'd love to hear more about your story if you want to share!

    my personal email is lauriewied@comcast.net

    God bless - and I'm so grateful that surgery went well for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think you are crazy...our daughter had her palate surgery 9 days ago and I am hearing different sounds too! Glad to hear your son is doing well.....

    Kimin Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that things are going well! Sorry about the arm restraints-- I can't even BEGIN to imagine what that is like!!
    Be blessed,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolene, Jake loves starfall.com, and it has really helped him learn his ABC's and with his speech. Glad to hear Tyson enjoyed it. Maybe he is hearing it better. The tubes in his ears really helped Jake. Before them, he basically failed his hearing test. After them his hearing is well within the normal range.

    It sounds like Tyson is doing really well. We're so happy for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds good. I hope he continues on this path. How funny about being Houdini. Our daughter took 5 casts off in 2 weeks after she had 2 fingers amputated, 2 finger separated and skin grafted. The docs gave up. She was supposed to be in the cast for 6 weeks. Sounds like our little ones are stinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake had some leakage, too. Our doctor wanted to leave a little fistula at the front of his mouth to allow for permanent teeth to come in. The leakage did stop. Also on the restraints. Jake never was one to put his hands in his mouth (he's actually doing that more now) and we eventually let it slide. If Tyson isn't messing with his mouth don't worry too much. That's easy for me to say. I know it is a concern. Take care. Violet

    ReplyDelete