Most on here know that I'm a teacher. I'm going into my 13th year as soon as I return to the classroom. In this time, I have learned that I need to get to know my students in order to love them and teach them in the way that works best for them. Some students I already know from seeing them the year before across the hall, but when mid year rolls around and you get a new student, you never know what you are going to get.
Usually a few days after that new student arrives, his/her file will arrive. I purposely do not look at that file until I have had a chance to get to know that student. Once I feel like I know them or have formed my own opinions, I will then go get the file to see what issues and grades that student had at another school to see if my thoughts are the same. Or sometimes, when a student switches schools, it's a chance for a new start. Maybe that child had a rough time at another school and wants to start fresh. If I read that file, I may have preconceived notions and treat the child as such. Generally, I can tell in the first few days what my new student is bringing to the table.
So why do I even bring this up? Well today I did it: I sent a request to Half the Sky to see if they have any information on Tyson. Up until now, I have based my beliefs on measurements, finding ad, referral information, photos, and updates. I have about 13 pages of Chinese writing about my little man, but I have not been at a place to want to know what's on those pages. Until now...
I am wondering if they will have the same pages that I have, but translated. That would be fantastic! Anything translated would be fantastic. I just feel that now I know Tyson well enough that I'd like to see if my assessments of his past are correct. I also want to know for him, obviously.
So, let's see what digging into the past will have. I will probably keep most of it private for Tyson's sake, but we'll have to see if there's anything in there that could help others as well.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment