Thursday, April 9, 2009

The REVENGE of the I-800A!

If you are Hague family or in the adoption community, you know this isn't good. Really...it's an annoyance that can be fixed, but still, very annoying. Long story short.

We started out nsn but quickly switched to sn. We did a hs update and sent it to NBC in November. When we got the I-800A approval, it approved us for healthy 0-18 months! WRONG! But, our agency didn't think it would be a problem since we would file I-800 after LOC. So we went ahead and got our LID. China just wants an approval. But the US wants it exact.

So fast foward to a few weeks ago when I was working on the I-800 just to get it ready for when LOC came, I started getting that "something isn't right" feeling. Maybe it was God tapping me on the shoulder. So I emailed my agency, and guess what? It is a problem.

So, the agency said I had to file Supplement A of I-800A and pay another $340 to US Dept of Homeland Security. However, I know that it was the fault of USCIS/NBC, and we have documentation to show that they had the homestudy update and didn't look at it. Over the phone I was even told that they actually put it with another family's file with teh same last name, but when I called the put it with mine! So hopefully, NBC will make things right without filing supplement A and $340.... and in the meantime today is Day 78, but my agency still feels we are very far from LOC. I guess I have this issue to distract me a bit.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Do you have the name of the NBC person assigned to your case? If so, I found that when I talked to our NBC case worker, she was very accomodating, reasonalble, super nice, and did go out of her way to communicate with us and make things easy for us. We had her direct office phone number and her email. I would NOT trust anything that anyone else says from the CIS/NBC 1-800 numbers. If possible, try and speak the to case worker assigned to your case. I agree...anything i800 related made me nervous, sick to my stomach, gave me a headache. Why does it all have to be so difficult? And you're right...NBC/CIS is VERY picky about things. We had our pre-approval AND our LOC from China and NBC still found things that were not exactly how they wanted them on our i800. I kept sayiny, "but we already have our i800a approval from you AND two China approvals. How can there be problems at all?" But there were. Minor things. But it all is just added stress at a time when you're emotionally fragile anyway. Not a good combination! julia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. I've heard the I-800 process is much more complicated than I-600.

    How are you holding up?

    And why is your adoption agency saying you are still a long way from LOC?

    ReplyDelete