Yesterday I had a meeting with Ty's preschool to see if he qualified for speech services. In September when he was assessed, he qualified for special education services for significant delays in gross motor skills and adaptability (self help). He did not qualify in language, but we needed to wait until palate repair to assess speech.
In the last few weeks, new sounds are coming rapidly. Granted, they aren't always clear and consistent, but they are there, and he has the ability to make them. For example, today he went to the refrigerator and said, "ooose peeeesh" which is "Juice Please". Three weeks ago that would have been, "ooo eee" He can also string a few words together "you ay dow" for "You lay down!" and the infamous and most clear, "Mama, Bus!" He is obsessed with buses and loves to show me his buses. Sometimes "s" comes out more of a "sh" sound...hard to explain, but I think you get it.
So at 2yrs 8 months, he can make all the sounds a two year old should make, except w. He is trying to string words together, and he understands very well. He has about 30 signs as well. All that to say, he does not qualify for special services for speech at this time through the school district. I came out of that meeting just floored. This is not to say that he is not behind or "caught up". It just means that for now, he does not qualify as being significantly developmentally delayed in speech.
Of all the areas for qualifying for special services, I always assumed he'd qualify for speech. And at some point in time he may qualify, but for now, he's making remarkable progress for only being in the country 6 months and learning a second language, as well as undergoing palate surgery. He is such a little sponge--he soaks up everything around him. We realized this the moment we met him.
I have decided to stop private speech therapy sessions until his regular therapist returns from maternity leave. I have personal reasons for this, and if you really want to know, send me an email, but I think for now, the pros for stopping outweigh the cons. When his regular therapist returns, we'll be back in full swing, which will be in May. In the meantime, because the speech therapist at his preschool works in the classroom, Ty will still get the language/speech lessons as well.
On March 22nd we will return to Childrens for cleft team appointments in audiology, speech, surgeon, and ENT. That will be 3 months post surgery. In May the school district re-evaluate Tyson in all areas to see if he will continue to qualify for special education services for birth to 3 since he will be 3 in June. I am not worried about adaptive skills--he is doing just fine. Gross motor I am still concerned. While he has made enormous progress, he is still very behind the gross motor milestones. But I am hoping being outside more as the weather gets better will also help in this area. And again I must remember, he didn't walk on his own until somewhere between 18 and 22 months of age.
So once again...I try to plan for the future, and God says, "Hold on Jolene...you aren't in control." I want to fix it all now and have a long term plan, but I have to realize that our journey will have peaks and valleys. I guess I just prepared myself that his speech would always be delayed significantly. He is still behind, but not behind enough for services through the school. One one hand I should be happy, and I am. On the otherhand, it's sad that he's still behind but not enough to get extra help. But like I said, we'll let his palate continue to gain strength and get the private speech back going in May. It's really only 2 months off, and we are working at home like crazy!
Maybe I just need to give it time. Not maybe...I do need to give him time and go with the flow. Easier said than done with my personality, but I think I'm learning a good life lesson here.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Oh! I know what you mean about giving it time and going with the flow. It is sooo hard! Everytime I think, "he's just not getting this. I need to work on him harder." Then, a week or two down the road, and he's totally got it (and especially if I DON'T push him!) Ewen continually amazes me, as I'm sure Tyson does you!
ReplyDeleteJake barely qualified, but he did just squeak in. He has speech therapy for 30 minutes, four times a week: twice at school and twice privately. He is making such great progress.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how much they soak up in such a short amount of time. Sounds like Tyson is doing great.
I also want to be in control and it is hard for me to let things go and let God be in complete control. It does sound like Tyson is doing well and gaining ground. Not sure if you saw my most recent post on Bella, but she is finally starting to talk more. She is not where I thought she would be, but she is getting more and more sounds and words. So I guess that is something. We will continue to pray for Tyson!
ReplyDeleteHi Jolene! It's been a while since I checked in! He seems like he is progressing so well! We just met our 2 month Gotcha anniversary and are loving every minute! I just realize our children are 1 month appart to the day. Faith's birthday is July 9th. Maybe we should try to get together once in a while. Is Tyson still speaking any Chinese? Take care, and have a great weekend!
ReplyDelete