St. Patrick's Day is coming up--I was reminded by the Shamrock milkshakes advertised at McDonalds "OH-NOs" as Ty calls it. This got me thinking about luck. I want to write about something that comes straight from my heart regarding luck.
We are told once a week, "Wow, he is one lucky boy," or something along those lines. I always smile and say, "No, we are the ones who are lucky!" and give Tyson a hug and a kiss. I don't say and do this to make others feel bad, but to send the message that Tyson is a gift and blessing to us, and it is NOT the other way around.
Tyson did not choose to not be raised by his biological parents. We praise God everyday his parents chose his life. But, he did not choose to be adopted. He was born under circumstances that we will never fully understand, as hard as we might try. As he gets older, we will deal with his insecurities and questions. We are prepared the best that one can possibly be prepared I guess.
God blessed us with the opportunity to become Tyson's parents. That is how we truly feel. It isn't about luck...it was about putting our faith in God that this little boy that we only knew on paper would be joining our family. There was a discussion on RQ awhile back about "meant to be" and it really got me thinking. Was Tyson "meant to be" in our family? I haven't quite resolved that one in my head yet. What I do know is that somehow our lives became connected, meant to be or not.
When a baby is born, do people say to the parents, "Wow, this is one lucky baby?" Not often, but I know it is sometimes said. Nevertheless, I do not believe that is the norm. If anything, it is the parents who say, "Wow, we are so lucky to have this healthy baby." And I guess that's true...you do feel lucky as a parent to have healthy children. But what if they're not healthy? Just something to ponder a bit...
I have decided to scan two pictures of my daughter when she was a preemie in the hospital back in June of 2001. I know it's hard to look at. Yes, she did survive, and no one said, "Wow, she's lucky to be here," because that would have been really a rude comment. And that is how we feel about Tyson. He isn't lucky, we are because he is one awesome boy! And if you know our daughter, she has one of the biggest hearts of any human being I have ever met in my life. She teaches me more about giving to others everyday.
Neither of my children chose to enter the world in the circumstances which they did. But here we are, one crazy family...and I'm feeling pretty lucky that we all have each other!




What a beautiful post, I totally agree with you about us being the lucky ones to have them in our families. I read that post also about
ReplyDelete"meant to be" , I feel that we are meant to have certain people in our lives and I feel like my daughter is right there along with my boys, but that said I don't think that by thinking that we are saying that she was meant to be abandoned and never meet her birth parents....... It's a tough one that you can analyze several different ways.
Love this post!
ReplyDeleteI must agree with Jen ^....... I sometimes need to remind myself about my daughters biological parents. Now that my daughter is 14 yrs old.....I see nothing but beauty, intelligence, kindness and love.
I never used the word abandoned - yet at this age now she knows there was a reason for her parents to "give her up". We talk openly about it. I want my daughter to know that she was a gift from God. He had a plan for us.
looking at your photos I still get goosebumps from my adoption journey- with tears in my eyes- and a smile from the moon and back. : )