Two years ago we were on our way to get our federal fingerprints. I was teary, weary, and numb from declining a file, even though I was reassured it was "part of the process". All I could think was that this little boy might never get a family...why God? Why would you show me this boy, only to have me realize he is not my son?
But before I reviewed this file, I had been having regrets over my special needs checklist. I had checked cleft lip/palate, but after the fact hoped in my heart that I would not get a referral for that need. I didn't know how I would do it: How would I feed this child? How could he/she attend daycare? How could I get the time off work?
This little boy had a special need involving his eyes. At first it looked manageable and exactly what we thought we could handle. But after a closer look, we weren't comfortable with it at all. And it was then I realized that cleft lip and palate was something I could totally handle.
So two years ago we were on our way to get our federal fingerprints, and we stopped by our agency to just chat, and little did we know more files had been added to the shared list. We looked at a few, and then we saw this face:
.jpg)
And suddenly, cleft lip and palate was exactly the need for us because there was a face in front of the need. There was a soul, a little boy, who just happened to have a special need--a manageable need for our family.
.jpg)
And you know how that story went on...and on...and still is going on...and I'm loving every moment.



What Beautiful little face, it amazes me how God puts things in our lives ever so perfectly.
ReplyDeleteAmy
Isn't that strange to not consider cl/cp until you see the face? I think that was the way we were with Ivy. We were drawn tot he cuteness, then investigated the need. Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing how God works to bring just the right child into our family?!
ReplyDeleteDo you still feel guilty about refusing that first referral? I do. I know that those children have families out there, but still, I feel like when people find out (I don't go around telling people, but my parents and people like that,) they are judging, even when they don't say anything.
I wonder about that little guy and just pray he is in a loving home that could meet his needs. I don't feel guilty because our community was not a place that could meet his needs of his adult life, so I am hopeful that he is in a place where he will live a fulfilling life. We were not his family, as much as I wanted to be. I wish I knew how things turned out for him. I think of him almost every day.
ReplyDeleteEverything worked out as it should have. It was all part of the plan.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie and how time goes so fast....
ReplyDeletehugs-Donna
I need some adoption advice. My husband and I are "officially" registered in Bulgaria, but the process has slowed down to a crawl. We are already a year in, and they are telling us now it will be probably 2-3 years before we have a child home. My first choice was always China, but the wait seemed so long, and until recently we hadn't really considered a special needs child. However, looking at the Rainbow kids site, there seems to be a lot of children we would be interested in! My question is how did you go about finding Ty? Did you go through just one agency, or just contact different agencies based on where the child is registered? We have an agency we are using for Bulgaria, but I haven't talked to them yet. Is there another waiting list available, or is Rainbow kids what you used? Thanks so much for the help. My e-mail is dd-jones@tamu.edu.
ReplyDelete