Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A tough time for Ty, cuteness, and China mom

In my last ramble I talked about issues that come up when you least expect it. Well, sometimes it's a physical issue.

Ty has an ear infection. He got a cough about 10 days ago, which turned into a cold about 5 days ago. On Sunday I just noticed his ears seemed a little bit gross. I cleaned them, and figured that was it. Nope...last night, yucky again, and he actually complained. Then I smelled it...GROSS! He complained more this morning, so I took an afternoon off from school to take him to a doctor to find out what I already knew--Ty has an ear infection. We got the antibiotics, and hopefully the infection will be gone soon. My biggest fear is that his hearing will be affected, so I need to be on top of this.

Yesterday was speech therapy. He got up in the morning and went to daycare, and then on to preschool, which is the routine. But after preschool, Dan has picked him up, but not yesterday. Some days Tyson will return to daycare (in the same building). I tried to prepare him the best I could and told him I would pick him up after church (he calls daycare 'church'). Well, he insisted to his teachers and daycare workers that "Mama come back! Mama come back!" Well, he was right...partially. I wasn't coming back til later. So after that tough time, plus the fact that he had an ear infection and I hadn't figured it out, I picked him up and drive him to Speech. By the time we got there, he was asleep. This happens a lot, but he generally wakes up. Not this time. NOPE! Totally out like a light. So I talked with the therapist for a few minutes, and I put him back in his seat. He woke up just enough to yell, "MY STICKER!" (of course in Tyson-speak, it sounded more like "MY ICKER!" He knows at the end of speech he gets a sticker. The kid is smart! Just like today he was asking for a "ucker" before he even was weighed at his doctor's appointment. He knows the good stuff!

So tonight he was starting to look a little better, had a bath...and I don't know what did it, but he has a big insect bite again on his face. He went outside to "help" me take the garbage out, so something must have bit him.

To top it all off...Mama has some tough times too. I get sixth grade student #30 tomorrow in my classroom.

But even with it all, I look back on where I was a year ago, and this is a CAKE WALK compared to that! Tyson is bed peacefully, and he had so many funny moments tonight he kept me laughing and smiling, like when he used Kacie's facial soap to make a bubble bath; or when he showed how tough he was helping me take out the garbage and recycling. Or when we practiced "Teddy Bear Teddy Bear" so he can take the book for show and tell tomorrow. Or when....you get the idea.

And tonight as we were going to sleep, he looked at his scrolls on his wall, and pointed and said, "China." I said, "Yes, Ty, you are from China." And with a big breath, I managed to say, "And you have a China mommy, and you have me as your mommy too." And he said, "I need a bandaid," and pointed to his finger.

I think I'd better keep bringing it up...thanks for all the advice. It's better now than later.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! 30 in a class is an awful lot. I remember those days and they weren't fun.

    Hang in though and keep remembering how far your little guy has come. He probably couldn't make many of the sounds he can now make and is doing so much more physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! It's funny the things that seem so huge to us seem so small to kids! It will get easier and before you know it, saying his "birth/first parents" will become natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) I will send you a pm on fb about what Gabe said to me!
    It will be a long time before he gets it, but in the end it will be worth it. Just yesterday at dinner we were talking about skin color and we said that Gabe has darker skin, he asked me what color my skin was and I said "Tan", and he told us that his skin was the same as momma's. Right now he does not see any outward difference in us, and I love that!! :-)

    ReplyDelete