And those of you who follow my blog know that Tyson does not do well with either of these.
He has enjoyed his Mama time. He even calls me "Mommy" on occasion. But today is my first official day back to school, and I've been preparing my classroom because tonight is open house.
Tyson will be in a 3 year old preschool class through our school district. Our 3 year old program is for children with developmental disabilities and ECEAP (low-income) families. Last year Tyson had three developmental qualifying areas: gross motor, speech, and self-help. He now has one: speech. He will receive speech services once a week, but the preschool is the gem for us because he picks up so many new words outside our home as he has to communicate with others. I even notice him speaking more clearly because he wants to be understood. I hope to meet his preschool teacher soon. Dan will take him to preschool the first day (next Tuesday) and from there, he will go Monday through Thursday every morning.
The biggest transition though is the new daycare. Our old daycare closed, but I was fortunate to be able to get him in a daycare that is actually housed in his school building. This means no bus rides! Yay for me for one less schedule...boo for Ty--he loves the bus. He says now, "Preschool, no bus." He has been to daycare 5 times now, and when I drop him off he cries. It's awful, but the ladies are great. They assure him I will be back.
So yesterday when I got there to get him, he saw me, and his face lit up--eyes wide, big smile-- and he yelled "Mommy!" "Mama back! Mama back!" I get tears in my eyes just writing this. Does he think he's in a new orphanage when I leave him? This new daycare is a Christian daycare, and because it's in the city (as city as you can call our town!), there are more kids and more workers, and all the workers are women in skirts and dresses. They are gems and have really taken a liking to him (I think?!). But all in all, it's chaos compared to his old daycare. Much busier for sure. Tyson calls it "church" because they play kids christian songs and have a chapel time, and pray before snack and meals. That I just love! It also has more diversity on all accounts. That I love. Tyson doesn't stand out as being different, he's just one of the kids.
When I got there and picked him up--all 37 pounds of him--he would not let me let him go. He just hugged me and said "Mama Back!" and then "Bye Church!" to everyone who worked there. But I heard "Mama Back!" at least 20 times. I think he clearly understands what this means, and I have assured him that either daddy or I will always come back for him.
Tuesday will be his preschool open house, then we are in full swing next Wednesday. I will take him to daycare every morning, and from there his preschool teacher will come and pick him up for preschool. That couldn't have worked out better. I will post an update on how he is doing. In the meantime, please pray for his transition. Thanks!

Singing with watermelon. What could be more fun?



Ty,
ReplyDeleteHave fun at your church school!!!
My mommy goes to school every day too, but she always comes back to the babysitter to get me every day.
Your Changzhou friend,
Taylor