I am so selfish, yes it is true. Here is why.
I wanted to have a baby back in 2000, and within a month, I was pregnant with Kacie. So rather than adopting one of the children here in the United States who desperately needed a home, I had a biological child.
And then in 2008 I chose to adopt a boy from China, and in 2009 he came home. Once again, rather than adopting one of the children here in the United states who desperately needed a home, I adopted from China.
So which of the above statements do you think I hear more about? Sad isn't it? The bottom line is all children need a home and a family, and my heart breaks daily for those children. I teach them and see them every day. I certainly can't bring them all into my family, but I do what I can to make their day a little better as much as I can.
I believe there are about 147 million orphans in the world. And I'm selfish for adopting from China, but not having one biologically? According to some idiots, I am. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm....or WOW!
Picture of my two beautiful children that I so selfishly brought into my family to call my own! (taken November 2009)



I am totally with you. If someone really wants to know why I didn't adopt from the US I have a whole speach about the way our government allows children to be ripped away from their adoptive parents if the bio parents change their mind after the baby is born.
ReplyDeleteI also go into how our government gives horrible people chance after chance to ruin their child's life before they finally put them up for adoption.
If being the mother to a child I did not give birth to and raise him with love and laughter in his life along with his brother and sisters makes me selfish, then that is a title I can live with.
ReplyDeleteOne saying I came across during our adoption process was...
Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child the world will change.
If an orphan is a child in need of a family in any country and going half way around the world to get that child makes me selfish that too is a title I can live with, because the only one I really answer to is the one who sent me to go get my child in the first place.
What a great post! It's amazing to me that people who would never express any opinion on how people create their families can be so negative about how adoptive families are created. I'm proud to be the "selfish" mom to a boy from China.
ReplyDeleteAMEN! I had someone ask me today (rudely) "WHY CHINA???" I simply answered, "Because that's where my daughters are." They didn't have anything to say to that one! Both your little ones are beautiful! Great post!
ReplyDeleteHeather
www.twogirlsonejourney.com
So true! I couldn't agree with you more:)
ReplyDelete