Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How I remember birthdays

Kacie and Ty have birthdays 3 days apart, and I will post pics from both probably next week. It's been busy around here the end of school and birthdays, and we're leaving for a camping trip soon.

On Kacie's birthday, which was Sunday, I looked her and I could remember her birth. Her premature little lungs fighting for each breath as we watched her rib cage collapse with every inhale/exhale. I remembered rocking her to sleep as a baby, looking into her eyes, watching her grow into the beautiful 10 year old she is today.

Today is Tyson's birthday, and what do I think? I think, "Is this his real birthday? What are his birth parents doing right now? I wonder if they think of him more this time of year?" And I also think about how we missed his 2nd birthday and sent him a little cake to eat with his friends at the orphanage, and when I got pictures, they were the first pictures we had other than the referral photos.

We will never know the details of the day of his birth. I don't know if anyone recognized his first birthday. But I know we recognized his second birthday, even a half a world away. And he will have birthdays with us every year because maybe it isn't so monumental to us, it is to him.

He has asked all week, "My birthday coming?" Yes baby, today we celebrate YOUR birthday. Happy Birthday Tyson! He is 4 today. And I am off to buy a bike with training wheels!

5 comments:

  1. Levi's BD was two weeks ago and I thought the same thing... is it the real day? What are his birth parents thinking? Do they remember with sadness/care/indifference? So hard to not have any answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th Birthday Tyson. It is so nice that you were able to send a care package to Tyson for his second birthday and receive pictures back. We did that with Sylvie as well, and treasure the few pictures we have. I bet it won't take Tyson long before he is riding without the training wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Tyson!
    It's been fun watching from afar as he grows, seeing his personality come out more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Tyson!

    So, you'll be in Northern Idaho
    (coeur d'alene, I'm assuming maybe?) Let me know when you're coming.... that's about 8 hours from us, but may be worth the drive as our family has no vacation plans this summer- due to trips to Portland for Seth's surgery/follow-up.

    My email: suzierobbins@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday Kacie and Tyson! Hope you both had great ones.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete