I'm not sure what was going on, but I was holding Ty, and he wasn't happy because he didn't finish his dinner, so he didn't get treats tonight. Out of the blue he says....
Ty: "China. I go home China."
Me: "You want to go back to China?"
Ty: "Yeah, I go home China."
Me: "Why?"
No answer
Me: "Do you remember being in China?"
Ty: "Yeah. I baby."
Me: "What did you do in China?"
Ty: "I sleep."
I have to be honest, I don't think he remembers China. He sees pictures that I have of him as a baby in China, and we talk about it. But I knew these words would be spoken someday; I just didn't expect to hear them one month shy of turning 4.
How did we respond? Who knows if it's right or not, but we told him he's stuck with his us. He's a Powell, and always will be.
And then it was on to whatever grabbed our attention next.
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Maybe those were the words he wanted to hear.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you handled it well. You can tell him that he can visit China some day, with you. He may just have wanted that reassurance. Or, he may have just wanted to get a reaction out of you. Either way, you handled it well. :) When Ewen's mad sometimes, he says he's going to take me back to China and get a new mom. haha! Not sure where that comes from (we've NEVER suggested that we would take him back to China and get another boy,) but I guess it's because we got him from China, maybe he thinks everyone comes from China. :)
ReplyDeleteOurs kids have a confusing situation ahead of them...2 worlds to mix together. We just have to support them and let them know that we are here and willing to talk it through with them.
ReplyDelete