Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I should have gone off...

...when the x-ray tech at xyz hospital (not Mary Bridge) said to me, "Did you have to learn about therapy to adopt him?"

Let me set the stage.

Ty had been examined up down and all around, and he was flipped out. Obviously his anxiety was sky high, and he was doing the whole, "My Mama" and "Don't leave me!" number. For those who know Ty (or anything about international adoption), this is a typical response to a high-stress situation.

I was asked a few times if I was his mother, fair question in my opinion. And once in awhile the topic of where he was from and when did we adopt him would come up. As we we walked to the x-ray area and back, there were some narrow hallways, and I had to walk in front of the bed rather than behind so that Ty would know I was not leaving him.

And that's when she popped off that question. In my shock, I just said, "Not really, you just have to be prepared for anything related to international adoption."

The more I thought about it, the more angry I got. HOW RUDE! What she was really saying was, "Your son has issues, I sure hope you can deal with it."

And maybe it was a poor choice of words, and if that was the case, then I agree...poor choice of words. I should have gone off...but as always, I was in so much shock I didn't know what to say. I've dealt with racist remarks, rude adoption comments, etc...but this was a first.

4 comments:

  1. sorry you had to deal with that- it would be nice just have have someone out there say-Hey your doing a great job! And you are don't let the rude people of this world get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO RUDE, and it's especially horrible that she said it in front of your son. Sounds like she needs some training herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if a bio child wouldn't act this way also??!!
    Come on, any child in this situation would act this way!
    {{HUGS}}
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I;m so sorry. You are correct, this WAS rude.

    ReplyDelete