
I am going to try to do a post every Friday that will highlight what it's like raising a son with special needs, pictures included. But for now, no new pictures because we left our camera in a hotel room today, so no SD card :(
Like all little kids, Ty likes to climb furniture, and we tell him no, and he does it anyway. Tonight, Ty fell off the arm of the chair and whacked his head on the tile fireplace hearth. The immediate goose egg scared the @#%& out of us! We iced it and called the doctor, and all is well. So yes, parenting a child with special needs on most days is just like parenting any other child. As Ty's speech improves and he continues to catch up developmentally, I don't even think about his special needs as much as I used to.
I got a phone call earlier this week: "Your son has cleft team appointments coming up, and he needs to be seen by 5 doctors/specialists." That's the call that brings me back to reality, that most days Ty is like other kids for the most part--cute, funny, and loud! But he also has a cleft lip and palate that, even though it's repaired, will require many more appointments and surgeries. Those appointments will be June 27th, after school is out.
So since my camera is in Seattle, here are some of my favorite pics from the past--the many faces of Tyson.
Ty in Guangzhou, 26 months, Aug. 09; 22 lbs
Here is the face I will love the rest of my life. Dec. 2010, 3.5 years old, almost 40lbs.
Ha! Now I have the button! :)




Handsome fella! I love the knitted brow in the GUZ pic. I can't believe how much he weighs! My poor 4 year old (5 in May) only weighs 27 pounds. I imagine Ty is a very solid, typical, rambunctious boy. I love it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a handsome young boy Ty is!!! I can completely relate to forgetting about your child's special need until the phone calls or the letters start showing up. I look forward to getting to know your family better in the upcoming "The Real Face of Special Needs Fridays"! :-)
ReplyDeleteHe really is a cutiepie. I'm with ya; most of the time, I don't even think of Ewen as special needs. But times like this Friday (when he will have his 3rd surgery since we've brought him home,) we are reminded.
ReplyDeleteYeah...with us the speech issues are a constant reminder. Those pics are precious!
ReplyDeleteIt seems that in regard to cleft-stuff, with our son, speech is the issue. With our daughter, appearance is the issue. Both are "special" needs.