Friday, April 23, 2010

Do I treat them differently?

The one question I am never asked, and I'm shocked: Do you love them the same amount?

I thought that I would be asked that. I never have. But I am constantly shocked at how people try to compare Ty to other kids his age. A discussion came up on RQ. Someone asked, "Do you treat your bio and adopted kids the same or differently?" Well, it comes down to this:

Kacie was born to us, raised by us, bonded and attached to only us.

Tyson was born in China and was raised by his parents for two months (we assume). He was abandoned, found, and taken to an orphanage to spend the next two years of his life. It is possible that he bonded with his biological parents and his care givers at the orphanage. Then at age 26 months, these strange Americans come to China and bring him "home", a place he's never been, people, sights and sounds he's never seen or heard, a language he can't speak or understand.

Now you tell me...how can I NOT treat them differently?

With Kacie, we have sheltered her. She has always believed that the world is a good place, and she has never had a care in the world. On the other hand, Tyson has many reasons to believe the world is a scary place. The obstacles he's had to deal with and overcome would make most people give up.

There are many things Tyson does that are typically toddler like "No!" and "Mine!". But what some people fail to realize is that he anything but typical. How many people have a start to life like he had, plus a cleft lip and palate on top of that? Not only is that atypical, I think it's amazing.

Are we bonded? Yes. Attached? Not yet. Just last night, Ty had nightmares again. You could say, "Well, even biologically raised kids have nightmares." Yes, true. But I would turn around and say, "But I'm sure that the nightmares my son has run deep from being taken from trusted caregivers not once, but twice." Plus, I don't even want to think of what life in an orphanage was like. Sure, when he's older maybe he won't remember, but those early experiences stay with a person for life.

When I catch myself getting frustrated with him, the fact his speech has plateaued, he still doesn't know his colors, he throws things and hits...I just remember where he came from, and how far he's come, both literally and figuratively.

Some days I think it's more than I can handle. And then I think of Tyson and all the children waiting for families. That's when I remember, I can do this! This has become one of my favorite quotes:

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous


So do I treat my children differently? Absolutely. But is my love for them the same? YES! Of course they are different people, but I don't love Ty more because he's adopted or Kacie more because she's biological. They are my children, and my love is unconditional for them both.

6 comments:

  1. PERFECTLY said. I am struggling with these same feelings and ideas. In fact last night I was talking to my husband about these same issues. Adoption has it's very different challenges but my love and momma bear instinct runs equally deep for all my kids.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene,
    I love reading your blog. I'm praying for your family and for Tyson. Adoption is so worth it, but can be so hard. Keep on, keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful post. I can totally relate. I struggle with things that I think Evie will be fine with that send her into a tailspin. Like Elmo, we can't watch it. She's terrified! Screams and shakes. And I can't help but wonder what happened to her that would cause such a reaction. I pray every day for patience and wisdom to parent her. It's hard. I'm grateful for blogs, though! I learn so much and don't feel so alone.

    Blessings to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Exactly the truth.

    Oh, btw....Kevin is 3 yrs 5 months and doesn't know ALL of his colors. Hey, he will be going to preschool this fall....they can help too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I miss reading your blog, have been offline for a long time. We struggle with the same things on a daily basis. It all comes back to us reminding ourselves where Noah comes from/the situations he comes from. When it boils down to it though, nobody gets it but all of us going through it. you put this all so nicely, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete