Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First Speech Therapy Visit

We went to our first speech appointment today, which was mainly just meeting the therapist and Tyson getting comfortable in the office. He cried at first and wouldn't leave my lap, but soon I "accidentally" dropped something, and down he went, and soon he discovered the toys. The therapist will be having a baby soon, so we'll have to have a fill in therapist for about 3 months, but I do feel he needs to do it. I really liked the therapist, so I'm sure all will work out. She was really nice and very interested in Tyson and his background and really appreciated how far he has come. He even used some of his signs. Communication is not an issue at all, but understanding him is going to be a long road.

I think we are going to try therapy 1x a week with home exercises. We could do 2x a week, but if we can do the intervention at home, it would save us some time and extra running around. Tyson will now only go the preschool 1 morning a week rather than 2x. I decided that it was way too much for him, and the therapists only work with him on 1 day, so that's the day we're keeping. Between all of his appointments, and now running Kacie to basketball 3x a week, that kid is one busy boy! Maybe after the therapist comes back from Maternity leave we'll try 2x a week...I don't know...

One thing I have learned through this adoption is to just live in the moment and appreciate it. We have lots of appointments and surgeries ahead of us. I just have to go with the flow and make the best decisions in the moment that I can make.

And now I am back to work...this time for real. Dan has been home for the last two days, so tomorrow will be Ty's first day back at daycare in over a month. Hoping it goes well!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy reading the updates and I love your family picture. Bella is also in speech and they think she has Apraxia, which will make learning to talk even more difficult. One step at a time though, right?
    Good luck with the first day back to preschool. Bella loves going so much that she even wants to go on my days off!

    ReplyDelete