Monday, November 2, 2009

First Day of Daycare and the Bus Ride

I made the daycare calendar last week, with today being Ty's first official day at daycare. It was more like 3.5 hours, as I figured we should transition slowly. It was also a trial run of getting two kids ready for school on my own rather than one. I return to work in two weeks. As I left, he ran after me, but K grabbed him and turned him around and I heard no crying, so I'm thinking the plan to have him at daycare with K is a good thing! So that part was a success, and off I went to run errands. My first stop was my school, as I am helping my sub with report cards and conferences, which are next week. I also enjoy saying hi to my kids, and they seem to like seeing me...for now.

I had to swing by Ty's preschool on an errand, and I got a chance to talk with the PT/OT teacher. It was great to talk with her and it put my mind at ease for a lot of things. If he keeps doing what he's doing (factoring in surgery of course), he will probably test out of PT/OT in the spring. He just needs to keep building his muscles up, but he seems to be progressing well in a normal manner, just later than most kids his age.

After a few stops at the bank and Wal Mart, I was at the grocery store pulling yogurt off the shelf when my phone rang. It was K's school number, so that can't be good. K woke up with a little cough, so I figured she needed to come home. Instead, the school secretary told me that a truck had cut off our school bus, and the bus had to slam on the brakes, and kids went tumbling! All school nurses reported to her school, as well as the paramedics and checked out every child. K had complained of a sore neck, so they had iced it, and she returned to class, but they thought maybe I should come check her out myself. I hung up, and sort of froze, staring at the yogurt. That's not a call you want to get, even knowing she's fine, it was still pretty surreal. So back to my neighborhood I went to check K out. She is fine, but you never know how she may feel later, so we'll keep an eye on that.

Then it was time to pick up Ty, and he did great at daycare. There were no tears, and best of all, he was happy to see me when I got there. But when we got home, he started the most bizarre behaviors. He dumped his cherrios out and stepped on them in the kitchen. He put water in his mouth, only to spit it all out down the front of his shirt with his tongue. He screamed while I was cutting meat for the stew for dinner because I wouldn't give him more cherrios. He hit me many times.

Yep, we are in transition. I had taken him to daycare before, but I stayed. This time, I left, and he was letting me know that this was new and he didn't know how to deal with his emotions. I was prepared for this, so I'm not in shock, but it still hurts. We went through our normal nap routine, and now he is settled down and sleeping with T-Bone and Winnie the Pooh.

All of this before noon. I wonder what's in store for the rest of the day?

Here are pictures of Kacie and Tyson doing "sommersaults" in the living room. They were having a blast!




3 comments:

  1. First, I'm so glad that "K" is okay. I'm sure my heart would stop if I got that kind of call, too! Also, I wanted to mention that we saw a lot of regression and acting out with SuSu when she started preschool, too. It was hard for us to watch our little girl, who had been blossoming so much, to take a few steps backward. Her big regression came with food, but she also started acting out and showing more attention seeking behaviors than we had ever seen. It took a few weeks for things to settle back down, but she seems to have finally adjusted to our new schedule. Our little ones are so used to a routine, predictable schedule, and it seems that SuSu really gets thrown for a loop when anything monumental changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary to get a call like that from the school. So glad everyone is okay. Hope K does not feel it later.
    Sounds like your a step closer to getting that routine down.
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will pray the transition goes well. We are doing the same thing here this week. So far so good. And I hope K continues to do well - too too scary!

    ReplyDelete