Friday, February 4, 2011

China special needs, and how I was led there

My blog, my opinion, my story. Here it goes.

On RQ, a site we all know and love in the China adoption community, there have been big discussions/debates about why someone would wait in the non-special needs (nsn) line (the wait is now over 4.5 years). Many people are feeling very upset, and rightfully so. When they logged in their dossiers almost 5 years ago, the wait was less than a year. Emotions are high in the world of nsn, and the wait doesn't look to be getting any shorter. There are many theories on this: less girls being abandoned, less girls paper-ready, domestic adoptions increased, etc...

When God laid China adoption on my heart in the Fall of 1994, I was a college student learning about the one-child only policy in an Anthropology class. I felt a calling to adopt a girl who had been abandoned due to this policy...at least I thought it was a girl since that was what I learned that day. I spent the next 14 years dreaming of adopting from China. In Feb. 2008 when we learned we'd have no more children biologically, I knew our China adoption would become a reality.

I visited our agency in March of 2008, and I was asked if we'd be interested in special needs (sn) adoption, and we said no, not at all. We were told the wait was currently 2 years from LID, but no guarentees for wait times and that when May 2007 rolled around, things would speed up. China changed it's rules in May 2007, so there were less dossiers submitted. So we began the process, and that's when I found RQ. I learned quickly that the wait was 2 years and growing, not staying still.

Through our Hague classes, we learned about cleft lip/palate, heart conditions, Hep B, and other special needs. Little did I know that these were considered "special needs" and both my husband and I said, "We could do that." And when I told him the reality of the wait and how much faster sn would be, we researched it further. At that point, we changed routes.

I often hear, "Wait time should not be a reason to switch to sn" for those who are still waiting for nsn. I ask, "WHY NOT?" I will qualify that though. You have to do your research and be open to parenting a child with a special need. But if the wait time is what makes you explore this journey, what is wrong with that?

Look at this picture and tell me that what I did was wrong. I dare you.


Maybe if the wait wasn't so long I'd have a little nsn girl...but because of the wait, I have Tyson, and I think I have the best son in the world and I can't imagine my life without him. I knew in my heart that I was called was called to adopt from China. What I didn't know is that the story in China had changed. Little girls are still abandoned, yes. But children with special needs who need homes are filling the orphanages because of the one-child only policy too. I had no idea.

So I admit it, the wait led me to explore and ultimately choose to adopt a child with a special need. I don't condemn anyone who is choosing to wait for nsn, that is their choice. But I don't want to be condemned for my choice, which was that I was motivated by the wait time to pursue an sn adoption. No someone shouldn't switch to sn if their heart isn't open to a child with an sn, but if the long wait for nsn is a reason to explore sn, I don't seen anything wrong with that.

That's what I did, and I'm glad because Tyson has been home almost *gulp* 18 months!

6 comments:

  1. Well said. We were the same. We got in the NSN line expecting a girl. That's what we put on our paperwork. And, yes the growing wait times spurred us to look at SN. We investigated what we thought we could handle and would not change our lives for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing. We've had it ingrained in our head so strongly by our agency not to switch because of the wait that now that we are filling out the SN check-list (while continuing to wait with our LID 8/15/2006) I feel a little guilty like we are just switching over the wait, though it also is because we are more aware of the options and feel more prepared to handle them. I'm not sure whether we will actually find a match on the shared list once our check-list is done, but we want it to be an option. (Though after 5 years of expecting a girl God is going to have to speak very loudly if his plan is a boy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But if the wait time is what makes you explore this journey, what is wrong with that?" ~very well put!
    I'm so glad that the wait time completely turned me off of the nsn route from the beginning. Otherwise, I'd have another girl in this house (big groan,) and I wouldn't have my super amazing little boy and a heart that is so passionate about all the other little boys who are still without families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, said a big NO to a SN adoption. But, I was so uneducated. With the wait came research, and I learned that I could handle some of those needs. I've never looked back and am glad we didn't. And you are right! Your blog, your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But if the wait time is what makes you explore this journey, what is wrong with that?"

    Exactly!

    This is very similar to our story as well, and I think many, many others. I also totally agree with your point that although this might be the "push", you still need to back it up with research.

    Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Post. If we had not switched to SN because of the "wait" We would have missed out on our daughter. I could not imagine our story being any different.

    ReplyDelete