Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sharing what is on my heart--adoption

It has been a whirlwind month. School started Sept. 7th, and life has been chaos. I was really thinking it was time for me to step back and away from the adoption world. But God keeps laying verses and situations on my heart. I find it impossible to step away.

Last Saturday I got a phone call from a PAP who I've been in contact with, and they are adopting a little girl from Tyson's province! I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I woke up the next morning, and God kept telling me, "Pray for the fatherless..." I went to church, and at least 2 songs had the term "fatherless" or the like in them. I prayed for this family and their waiting daughter, with tears of joy and the reminder of the pain of the wait. I prayed for their strength and faith to be just rock solid in the Lord. I am so glad I can be of help and support through their adoption.

Last weekend I attended a soccer game with another adoptive mom, and it was so wonderful to talk with another mom who truly "gets it". We both have children from China who have different special needs, but they go to the same major hospital for their medical appointments and surgeries. I have found that unless you walk this path, it's hard to identify with what we've gone through.

Last night, I received a phone call from a friend I was in contact with before we traveled to China, and we met in China with our children. I realized how lucky we are to have found each other, that God knew we would need each others' support as we parent our children.

And today, I met a couple at my school who are adopting a 3 and 7 year old locally. I was able to share my research on attachment and recommend the book "Toddler Adoption". I gave them my email and told them to contact me anytime since I have learned a lot about the topic and can recommend more websites.

It is clear to me that God doesn't want me to walk away from topics of adoption. I always hoped that all my waiting and research would help others, and clearly this past week, He has shown me a purpose beyond just adopting Tyson. All children deserve a family, and even if I can't adopt another child, I can support those who do.

So until God gives me that green light to adopt again, I will continue to support those who are adopting. I pray for the children who have been adopted and continue their bonding and attachment to their new parents and who must overcome special needs. So while I wanted to back away and move on to something new, I realize now that God isn't done with me yet!

2 comments:

  1. What an encouragement to be able to use what God has taught you to encourage others! I'm sure they were blessed by those conversations and the connection.
    Kelly
    from www.wearegraftedin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, i feel you! I feel like my heart is filled with "adoption" I am constantly trying to figure out what I can do to "help" or be "involved" though I feel like I am not coming up with much. I did have coffee last week with a women who was adopted from Korea and is considering adopting now. Made me really happy to chat with her.

    I am really waiting for my husband to give us the green light to adopt again, though I have a feeling I will be waiting for a very long time. I know if it is meant to happen it will happen in God's time.

    Amy

    P.S. Cute pumpkin farm Pictures

    ReplyDelete