Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ear infection--need advice

I'm hoping someone still reads this!

At Ty's June 2011 cleft team appointments, the ENT said one out of two tubes were still in place. I just couldn't remember which one. Friday night I noticed some liquid in Ty's ear, and the stench is enough to make you fall over! I took him to a clinic yesterday since it was a Saturday, and there is a tube stuck in the canal. They can see it and probably could have pulled it out, but the PA didn't want to touch it (can't blame her). She did put Ty on antibiotics for an ear infection.

It's not much of a dilemma, but here it is. The cleft team ENT is in Seattle, 2 to 2.5 hours away. I really don't see the need to fight traffic and take Ty on that long ride just to have the ENT there pull a tube out. So should I:

1. Call the ENT at children's, get advice, and go from there?
2. Call my pediatrician and just have him remove it?

I am thinking option 1, and the ENT there (Dr. Perkins for those familiar with Children's Hospital) said it would be fine for us to get a closer ENT if Ty continued to have ear issues. Personally, I don't call one ear infection a year as having ear problems (He's had 3 infections total--2 last year and one this year). Plus, Ty had a cough and cold last week, so it's obvious he's been fighting off something.

Oh, and don't worry about Ty, he's fine. Worry about me because I'm losing it! He's sooooo loud, feels no pain, and is as ornery as ever! I love my spicy boy!

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I don't have much to share for advice, but I do still read your blog!!
    With Levi, we go to cleft clinic but only occaisionally as we have our own dentist, ENT, and speech people. And our team is only 20 minutes away! I guess if I was in your situation, I'd call the ped and then consider a closer ENT. He may not have many issues, but it is so much nicer to have the docs close to you for when you do need them. Hope his ear gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got a recommendation for a ENT from our Ped. It can be 2 hour drive to see Theo's team ENT. And is nice to have one closer to home. The local ENT gives me a write to take to the team for their records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No advice as we live in BC, Canada - but we just went through our first round of an ear infection...no fun at all. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon and the pain relievers bring some immediate comfort.

    ReplyDelete