I kindly explained Ty's situation to another teacher before I knew who his regular teacher was. Once I saw Christy ("swimming teacher"), I told her that trust was a huge deal for Ty, and for this session, if he'd just get in the water, I'd be tickled pink. I didn't want him forced underwater yet because he needs to build trust for future lessons. Christy has been more than amazing!
The first day, he cried. Fortunately, I know the teacher from working with her 6 years ago, so she scooped him up and took him to the pool. He observed the other kids sitting on the bench, and he did it too. Then the teacher took him for his first "swim", and he was smiling ear to ear. He cried a little on day 2; day 3 no tears, but teacher still had to pack him to the pool. By day 4, he was a pro and walked in on his own, no tears. Now he just tells me where to sit. The teacher told me if I'm not watching him, he gets mad and says, "Mama look!"
But the biggest thing I noticed that first day was this:
Remember, this is a class of 3-5 year olds, and Ty just turned 3. Naturally, he's going to be smaller than the others....or is he? LOOK! He's sitting on the bench with the other kids. He's taking part in a group activity. He's not being naughty (OK, the lifeguard has talked to him a few times, but that's it. Hey, that little girl has curly hair, of course he has to pull it gently to see if it bounces!), and he looks to be the same size as the other 3-5 year olds. He looks and acts like any other kid.
And that's what I got out of it. He may be different from other kids, but it is nice to see him starting to blend in more and do what other kids his age do. It brought tears to my eyes. God reassured me we are on the right path, and I praise Him for his guidance this past year.
And as a swim report, Kacie has moved to the next level! Ty will be a pike for awhile, and that's OK. I'm just so beyond proud of him for even getting in the water with someone different and watching him progress in his independence.
Enjoy the photos!
Getting ready to do "pencil point" with his arms to go back to the bench.
I guess I shouldn't use the flash at the pool--pics turn out dark. But you can see his smile, and that's what's important!
The last 5 minutes of class is free time, and you'd think Kacie would go play on her own. After all, her brother drives her crazy! But oh no, they seek each other out immediately and have so much fun!



that's so great!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis post gave me goose bumps. I'm so happy for you all.
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun. Jake's swimming lessons were at the YMCA, too. He was a pike as well. He had to take the pike class twice, which was OK. He really was the smallest kid in the class. But now, he's graduated to eel.
ReplyDeleteHe's much more confident around the water and even likes our shower, which he didn't like before. He had a thing about water being sprayed on his face.
Not sure how I missed this, but so great that Ty is opening up so well! His smile is so awesome! What a fish!
ReplyDeleteJess