Wednesday, August 15, 2012
The Expected and the Unexpected
The Expected and Hoped For news of the summer:
Tyson's cleft appointments went great!
1. He passed his hearing test in audiology.
2. The ENT on the team no longer needs to see him.
3. The speech pathologist said articulation is great, with a few areas to work on.
4. Lip surgery when we are ready to fix the other part of the bilateral cleft lip.
The Unexpected...
The speech pathologist agreed with the school's determination that something more might be going on with Tyson. She said research showed that kids adopted internationally like Ty should be caught up into normal conversation by 2 years. Ty's been home 3 years. So rather than waiting for the school to do language and cognitive testing this fall, I took him to the speech therapist we saw last summer. First of course, we had to have a doctor referral, which was no problem since Tyson had a healthy child visit in early July.
So the big day came, and at 8:30 we saw "Teacher Judy" who Tyson remembers fondly because he always got a prize! In 60 minutes she did two evaluations. She agreed that articulation is not a concern at this time (with a cleft child, that is amazing!). His language usage was at the 23rd %ile...low-normal range, but not low enough for speech services. That's where the good news stopped.
Then she got into another test, where he scored in the 3rd %ile, and it showed an issue with auditory processing. Tyson was burned out, so we left and came back that afternoon to do another test for auditory processing just to see where he would score--4th %ile.
So now we are exploring issues with auditory processing, and the research I've done has helped me find some strategies for daily life. It explains A LOT!
We won't give up. We'll keep at it, and hopefully this knowledge will help give us more insight how to best help our little man.
Jolene
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Glad to hear the good news. Sorry about the unexpected. I hope that this is just a slight bump in the road for you guys. Praying you through it all.
ReplyDeleteSounds like Tyson is doing great! How wonderful that his articulation is going well. I have heard that kids with auditory processing issues can make tremendous gains (we have a friend whose kid had issues early on, now her daughter is completely on-target!) Our fingers are crossed that things keep looking up.
ReplyDeletePraying you can find the right program to help Ty. Praising for all the good news you had and to now moving on to help the processing.
ReplyDeleteI still find it frustrating that 23rd percentile is normal...Gabe was in that range for OT services and I struggled.
I am sooooo glad I found you again. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.
ReplyDeleteI love hearing all this good news about Tyson! Praying you have found the help he needs for the processing.
I would love to stay in contact with you!
Amy
www.1001tears.blogspot.com