I'm home sick today...not something I do very often. In fact, I can't remember the last time I stayed home sick.
I am on the mend today, but last night was another story. I contemplated coming home before lunch, but I teach 6th grade, and my class is pretty awesome, so I decided to stick it out. I left as soon as the clock hit 3:20, and I hit the bed when I walked in the door. My husband was just waking up because he's working nights, and he had a doctor's appointment that morning. He broke his wrist this week at work, so things are super crazy at home...I have no time to be sick!
But I didn't get a choice. Fever, chills, vomiting, tears...I had all of it. Meanwhile, Dan went to work, so I had two kids in my house ages 10 and 4 without a mommy to take care of them. There was no way I could leave my room.
And guess who stepped up? My daughter. She is A-MA-ZING. She cleaned the living room and kitchen, took care of Tyson, filled the pellet stove, made them something to eat (I have no idea what it was, but they were fed), took care of the dogs, fed the fish, AND put Ty to bed. She did all of this without being told. Her dad just told her to be helpful before he left.
Sometimes I feel like a really crappy mom. I don't do all the cool projects with my kids like I should. I don't always spend the quality time with them like I should. I hate baking, another "mommy" activity that I don't care to do. So I'm purposely trying to find things to do with my kids other than just running them to the next activity. Kacie and I are trying to do a spinning class at the Y once a week, and she is enjoying that. And for Ty, I hope to be taking him to the parks more as the weather gets better and Kacie is at fast pitch practice. My kids are growing up way too fast, and I'm missing it. The "Bad Mom" feeling is setting in.
But last night, I realized I must be doing something right for Kacie to step up and take the responsibility that she did. And Tyson was very worried about me. He kept asking me if I was OK and would rub my back or tell me he loved me.
If neither of the above seem like a big deal, consider this. Kacie used to be the most complacent (a nice way to say "lazy) child ever, and she was very ego-centric. It has been through intentionally teaching her to care for others, and living that way in our home, that she has learned to show others how much she cares through her actions. And for Tyson, two years ago he wouldn't have shown any emotion toward me being sick. He showed signs of attachment issues, and it was disturbing. Now he shows remorse, sympathy, and also cares for others.
So I'm not mother of the year. I let my kids down a lot. I don't do the cool things the stay-at-home moms do. I even *gasp* let them watch TV more than they should. But I also know that I'm a good mom. I am raising children who will love people just as Jesus does. I am raising children who are going to make the world a better place.
Hopefully I'm the kind of mother that my children will someday be proud to call mom.
And they'll forgive me for not doing the cool projects at home.
Friday, March 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Oh, JO! This post just made me go "awww" over and over again! You are an excellent mother. And to think that you intentionally teach your children is just awesome. No one is faulting you for being sick (and allowing yourself to mend.) You daughter sounds like such a wonderful little girl, and the thought of Ty rubbing your back and asking if you are okay just makes me smile. You are the mother God gave to these children, and He does everything on purpose. Keep up the great work, but don't feel guilty when you have to take a break. (And don't feel guilty about not doing those little projects with your kids; we all do it, even us stay at home moms.)
ReplyDeleteOh, Sweetie! You are truly so blessed to have Kacie. Don't feel badly that you are so ill! I'd be in bed, too. I sure hope you are feeling much better soon. And way to go Ty! Showing concern. It is during these times of sickness that we learn what we are doing right or wrong with our kiddos! Rest up!
ReplyDeleteI had a mom who didn't bake or sew or do projects. She was a middle school principal. She was the BEST mom ever- don't ever think that because you work and have interests that aren't "mom-ish" you aren't a great mom. You are just the right mom for the kids God gave you! It's all about the conversations and the prayer and the love.
ReplyDeleteKnow that I am right there with ya sister!!!
ReplyDelete