Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Word #20: "Orphan"

My daughter is in fourth grade. I admit, I've been slacking in the "study your spelling words" department lately, mostly because she does fairly well. Tonight she showed me her list, and it was a review week. And then I saw that the word "orphan" was a spelling word, and because it's a review week, this word was also on the list earlier in the month.

I am not sure how I feel about this. It's just a word...or is it? Is it a label? When my son is in fourth grade, do I want him having the work "orphan" on a spelling list, only to remind him of his status as an orphan early in his life?

I am sure there are other words on spelling lists that possibly bother other people, and I guess it's my white privilege that I've never noticed words to be offensive, as I do teach sixth grade from the same curriculum. I don't even know what spelling rule it was for (or, ph, or -n endings?), but I would have to think that those making the lists could have come up with a better word.

Or maybe it's because I had a personal epiphany with the word "orphan" a few months back (see http://powellfamilyadoption.blogspot.com/2010/10/prase-i-will-never-say-again-and.html ). Or I just wonder how kids are learning about what this word truly means, and that it's easy to talk about when you don't have a name and a face to put with the word.

I don't know...I just thought it was a strange word for a fourth grade spelling lists.

2 comments:

  1. This goes along with what we talked about earlier today. My girls wouldn't associate the word orphan with themselves (D wasn't technically an orphan, but T definitely was). T knows she was in an orphanage, but I don't think we've ever called her an orphan. And, I know we didn't have any conversations about it, if they had it on a spelling list. Did Kacie say anything about it??
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word "orphan" has always rubbed me the wrong way. Then there's that movie...which really turned me against it!

    ReplyDelete