Thursday, May 3, 2012

A little update, and a lot of "When I was a baby.."

I don't know where the time goes, but it sure goes by! I am now a runner, and I'm loving it. I've lost 36lbs since August, and although I'm still overweight, I feel great. If you'd like to get an update on my running journey, you can go to It's been a fun blog to write...except when I'm injured, then it's not fun, but usually, it's pretty fun. Kacie is in the "throws" of fast pitch. She's on two teams, and we are always busy doing something!
As for Tyson...a lot of ups and downs, more downs lately. One thing I've learned is that there are just so many variables with my little man, it's hard to tell what exactly is bothering him. He has come to realize that he is not going on to Kindergarten next year, and actually, he says he is OK with that--he hates transition and change. He has been extremely defiant and almost angry. I talked to someone about parenting strategies for kids with ODD, and I'm not saying he has ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder) but I needed some advice on what works and what doesn't with kids who are stubborn, defiant, and strong willed (ODD?). Most of it was what I already knew, but wasn't using. Consistency, consistency, consistency! If you say it, mean it! So, we've had some major melt-downs, both at home and in public, but I think he's coming around. I was gone for a few days, and he really missed me. I know he loves me, and he loves to snuggle and read books, loves to be held and rocked...those are good things, so we build on those. Lately, he likes to tell stories of, "When I was a little baby..." and I know he's trying to piece together his past. He is trying to understand how he was a baby in China and why he wasn't with me. Yet he is proud to say, "You can to China for two weeks to get me!" So I know he's dealing with something, and I will be there every step of the way to help him through it. Well, it's late, and I'd love to get some sleep. Thanks for checking in! Jolene

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your huge weight loss and your new found enjoyment in running. I'd love to run, but my shins kill me after only a short bit.

    And, poor Ty! I can only imagine what some of our children go through mentally and emotionally. It is a whole lot. He's young. He will figure it all out with your support. I have a bio 18 year old who has been very VERY strong willed his whole life. He's just now getting it and coming around. I love seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reading your update! I myself have been a terrible blogger!

    ReplyDelete